The Murom Museum of local edge was created in 1918 and for the first time has opened for visitors on January, 1st, 1919 in the bilding of the former merchants Zworykins. All subsequent museum structures inherited its collections and buildings.
Since 2007 the museum is in regional submission. Since January, 1st, 2009 to it the status of especially valuable object of a cultural heritage of Vladimir region is appropriated.
The museum concerns art museums, it has the first category. It has the most valuable art and historical collections and occupies four complexes of the buildings which are monuments of civil architecture.
The Murom museum since 1990 spends the All-Russia scientific conferences - the Uvarovsky readings (time in three years, always on easter week); scientific expeditions are annually spent.
The museum prepares scientific and popular editions, lets out materials about Murom on electronic carriers and on the Internet.
The basic partners of a museum in noncommercial sector - museums of cities of Pooksky region (Gorohovets, Carpets, Vyazniki, Kasimov, Pavlovo, Arzamas, Sarov, Alexander). The museum is base scientific institution of a museum network ("Commonwealth of Museums of the Bottom Oka").
The museum is a member of Association of museums of Russia, enters into the Union of museums of Russia.
Creative collective of a museum is about 30 museum experts, there are almost as much museum workers in technical and auxiliary services