Roslavl Museum of Histori and Fine Arts was opened on the 7 th of November,1920. Its founder was S.M. Sokolovsky, whose private collections became the base of the Museum. During the Great Patriotic War all collections of the Museum were lost. Once again the Museum was opened on the 20th of October, 1962. Its collections were gathered all over again.
At present the Museum is a repository of archaeological, ethnographical, memorial and representational materials, connected with the Histori and the Culture of the Region and biographical materials of out famous countrymen.
The archaeological collection includes material articles dating since neolitic age till the 17th century.
This collection is the result of excavations of burial-mounds and ancient settlements which were carried out in the borders of former Roslavl region.
The main interesting part of ethnographical section is a great collection of peasant clothes of the period since the end of XIX th till the beginning of the XXth centuries existed on the south of Smolensk region.
The section of fine arts includes the works of out famous countrymen (A. Rokachevsky, M. Mikeshin, S. Konenkov, F. Shurpin) and the works of the learding Soviet authors