The Kargopol Museum was founded on March, 27th, 1919. It was based on the private collection of Kapiton Kolpakov, local petty bourgeois. Nowaday Museum is a big historical and cultural complex. It consists of 17 historical monuments of cult architecture of XVI-XIX centuries. They are located in Kargopol and its neighborhoods and are of the Federal importance. The art collections of the museum have icons and church sculptures, manuscripts and books published in Russia before the 18th century, traditional Kargopol fancy-works and folk dresses, front and gold needle-works, wood paintings, provincial portraits of the XIX century, clay toys.
Collections of manuscripts and ancient books, cartographical collection are of great scientific interest.
Ancient art of Russia, folk art, historical and exhibitions for children are constantly represented at the museum.
The Museum is active in running numbers of various projects, holds scientific and practical conferences. It is the organizer of the only in Russia chime art winter festival "Crystal Ringings".
On the Orthodoxy holidays one can enjoy listening to singing of "The Svetilen", museum choir of sacred music. In summer time programmes of retro music are held outdoors in "The Museum Small Yard". All the spectators are involved into the performing. One can buy Kargopol clay toys and other souvenirs, booklets in our museum shop where we exhibit and sale such things.
Address: 50, Oktyabrsky pr., Kargopol, Arkhangelsk region, 164110.
Tel.: +7 (81841) 2 14 61, tel./fax: +7 (81841) 2 14 96 E-mail: email@example.com