The Serpukhov`s Museum of History and Art was established in 1918. Its displays are housed in the former mansion of the local merchant woman A. Marayeva, whose collection provided the basis for the museum.
After the opening of the museum, new items came in from the State Museum Fund, Moscow museums and the nationalized property of the former estates of the nobility.
The Serpukhov Museum is famous for its art gallery. The collection of Russian art gives the visitor an impression of almost all stages in its development. This section includes works of early Russian painting 18-20th-century masters.
The pride of the museum is its section of Western European art. Represented here are the most significant artistic schools of the 16th to 18th centuries -- Netherlandish, French, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish and Dutch. The greatest in terms of number is the collection of Italian paintings of the 17th and 18th centuries. The works cover a range of genres and tendencies